Sunday, November 16, 2008

On a fait les quatre cents coups ensemble

This past weekend was what one might call a doozy. Starting on Thursday with two amazing shows by my friend, the talented Ms. Krystle Warren...the first, a sold-out big deal at The Olympia complete with a backstage pass, whiskey, a smokey dressing room, and a pretty kick-ass catered dinner; the second, a low key "after show" at a club that I've been to a couple of times. I think it's called La Regine? It's kind of an after hours situation, so the times I've been there have been in the evening and well, after hours of drinking...so the name is admittedly hazy. I had such a great time, made some really cool new friends, and got to party like a rock star...or at least like a pretty damn successful singer/songwriter.
Friday night my dear friend from NYC came to town, and we had a blast hanging out with her brother and friends. Raniah's one of my favorites; born in Saudi Arabia, raised in London, and recent US citizen...we simply fell head over heals for each other riding the bus home from our rehearsals for Offending the Audience this time last year. She was lovely enough to bring me some supplies from home including the EmergenC I'm sippin on right now. Until she departed on Sat, we had tea and biscuits, and wine and salads, and beer and beer, and coffee and butter...interrupted briefly by a few hours of sleep. We went sexy stocking shopping and on a beautiful afternoon promenade around Le Cemetaire de Monmartre near her bro's place. After losing track of the time, we ran through the streets and the metro and Gare de Lyon, "pardon"ing ourselves all the way for trampling poor Parisians in our path. We got her safely on the TGV to Switzerland just as the whistle blew and the doors closed behind her. It was absolutely exhausting!
And yet! I mustered the energy after a nice long nap to meet my friends at a party last night. Well, I met Lauren on the train...and we finally made it to the party after an hour of searching because our friends Nicolas and Andrew were apparently too intoxicated to give us proper directions. Andrew's a lovely late addition to the program I'm in, and we get along like gangbusters. He's a sensitive soul, and a hopeless corner-cutting optimist, and he cracks me up. His boyfriend Nicolas is gracious and kind and patient with my French. They've got a cozy little place and play great hosts (such as brunch today...bloodymarys+grilled cheese+Tina Turner+ hot fudge sundaes=perfect Sunday).
Lauren is a complete doll. The moment I met her on Halloween, I asked her to be in my short film. She's beautiful and totally has that New Wave/Anna Karina-look going on...she's also a talented actress to boot. Although we were frustrated getting there and had to run screaming from a guy masterbating in the street (my first incident of this kind that I wish NEVER to have to experience again), the party was pretty fun.
Right after we arrived, Andrew was like, "let me introduce you to this hot guy."
Hot guy asked where I was from and when I said KY, he says, "Oh, my best friend married a girl from KY and lives in Cincinnati."
"Really? One of my best friends from KY married a French guy and lives in Cincinnati."
"Etienne?"
"Patricia?"
In unison, "Holy shit, this is CRAZY!" And so on and so forth. It was pretty hilarious. This tiny little planet. C'est comme ça. Later, Hot Guy introduced me to his girlfriend. This tiny little planet full of couples. C'est la vie.
I then took the night bus home for the first time, and saw some pretty interesting characters. It took forever, but is a safe, cheap alternative to cabs since the metro closes at a laughable 1:40am here. I'm sure it won't be the last time I use it.
My house mother's driving me crazy, but has redeemed herself this evening with a delicious soup for dinner. I feel like stuff keeps getting lost in the laundry she won't allow me to do, she asks me repeatedly to do things I'm already doing (nothing serious, just returning the phone to the cradle, cleaning out the coffee maker and such), and she continues to eat any desserts I have in my freezer. I seriously don't mind sharing food (I actually prefer it), but she's constantly commenting on her "problem" with food, and makes comments about how it's unfair how thin I am. I want to be like, "You're 60 and look great...give it a flippin rest already!"
This week is full of classes and film editing and such, but I can't wait for a party in the Catacombs and BERLIN this weekend! I'm gonna miss all these characters when I go, but I'm excited to go home soon, too. It's hard to believe I'll be back in NYC in less than a month. So much to see, so much to do...but first on the list: sleep. Goodnight small world.

No comments: